Maryvale Catholic Primary School
Maryvale is a Catholic school where children are educated from the age of 3 to 11 in a caring, supportive and encouraging environment where all aspects of their development: spiritual, moral, emotional, physical, social, personal, cultural, and of course academic; are nurtured and can flourish.
Maryvale is one of the oldest Catholic Primary Schools in the country. The school was built on the present site in 1881 by the Sisters of Mercy to cater for the children in the orphanage and for local Catholic families. There was however a school established in the orphanage itself prior to this date. The orphanage closed in 1980 and the building is now used as the Diocesan Centre for Catechesis.
There has been a long tradition of Catholic Faith at Maryvale. The parish was established in 1669, although there is believed to be evidence of a Saxon church here. Maryvale House was once the home of the recently beatified, Blessed Cardinal John Henry Newman, who gave the area the name "Maryvale". The original Oscott Seminary was also founded in the house.
Our School Mission
"With our mother Mary,
we gather together joyfully,
to love, live, learn and pray,
with respect for all God's family,
as Jesus teaches us."
Maryvale Catholic Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, volunteers and visitors to share this commitment.