Maryvale Catholic Primary School



Welcome to the Parent Teacher Association Page! Here you can find minutes, agenda's and more.

Election of Governor

Election of Parent Governor Oct 14.pdf

Important Notice - Printable Letters

Please note that you can find all letters can be found and printed off from the Printable Letters category.

SEN Parent Information


Parent Local Offer - Maryvale Catholic Primary School


Please find below a set of 14 questions which we hope will support you in understanding what we can offer for your child and how we can work best as a team. We hope you find it useful and if you have any questions please speak to someone in school.

What kinds of special educational needs might the children at Maryvale Catholic Primary School have?

Special educational needs and provision can be considered as falling under four broad areas:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory and/or physical

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

The first contact is class teachers in school:

If you have specific concerns you can also contact our Inclusion Leader – Miss. C. Barnes – Telephone 0121 675 1434

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Maryvale?

Class teachers are responsible for ensuring SEND pupils have equal access to the whole curriculum through either additional to or different support to other pupils in the class.
For your child this could mean:

  • Differentiated work
  • Specific programmes of intervention
  • Additional resources
  • Adaptation to the school environment
  • Social groups
  • Working with practitioners from external agencies e.g. Play therapists
  • Set up a meeting to discuss this with you.
  • Set follow up meetings to monitor and inform parents of progress.
  •  Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Discuss/plan any additional support your child may receive
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s

What do I do if I am worried about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Inclusion leader or Head teacher
  • If you are still not happy you can contact the school SEND Governor who will discuss ways forward with the senior leaders of the school.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress the school will

How is extra support allocated to children?

The school budget, received from Birmingham LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

The Head Teacher, in conjunction with the senior leaders of the school, decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of identified priorities for the best possible progress and support for pupils.

The Head Teacher, the senior leadership team and the Inclusion Leader discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

  • the children getting extra support already
  • the children needing extra or different support
  • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected
  • expertise of staff

All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Who else might my child have support from, professionally at Maryvale?

Agency or Service

Who they work with and how they work

How school accesses this support

Educational Psychology

Children who are experiencing problems in school, for example, learning and emotional difficulties. They do this by observing and advising teaching staff on the best approaches to support your child and follow up with 1-1 session with your child if necessary.

A referral is made by the school inclusion leader after consultation with and permission from parents.

Pupil and School Support

Children who have learning and cognition difficulties. They do this by observing and advising teaching staff on the best approaches to support your child and follow up with 1-1 assessment with your child where necessary.

A referral is made by the Inclusion Leader after consultation with and permission from parents.

Communication and Autism Team

Children with a diagnosis of autism. They do this by observing and advising teaching staff on the best approaches to support your child and follow up with 1-1 session with your child where necessary. They also work in the home.

A referral is made by the Inclusion Leader after consultation with and permission from parents.

Sensory Support (Hearing and Visual Impairments)

Children with visual and/or hearing impairments. Advisors will work in school to support staff and ensure the children have full access to the curriculum.

This can be a referral from school or a referral from the G.P./hospital on parental requests.

Speech and language services

Children who need support with speech and the understanding of language. Parents often have to attend clinic for this service, they occasionally work in school but will send recommendations to school to support teachers.

A referral can be made by school or the G.P. in consultation with parents.

Parents are sent appointments to attend at a local clinic/health centre.

Occupational Health/Therapy

Children who need support with physical elements both fine and gross motor skills.

Occupational therapists often work in school with individual children and staff and will support in strategies to support the children access all areas of the curriculum.

A school referral can be made if parents agree or a parental request via the G.P.

Play Therapist

They support a wide spectrum of children with behaviour, social and learning needs.

The play therapist works one to one with children in school using play to support children.

A referral in school is made with consultation with parents.

Family Support Worker

Supports families and children in our school community with any concerns e.g. health, parenting skills, learning, behaviours and support.

Families work together with the support worker at home and children in school to ensure the children and parents are advised and guided in areas of concern.

A referral from school with parent permission. Home visits might follow with families working together with the support worker.

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)

Works with pupils with specific mental/behavioural needs.

The agency will support both in school and in clinic. They support teachers with strategies to support the children and parents for support at home.

A school or G.P referral with parental permission.


How is the curriculum tailored to meet the needs of SEND children?

All children have full access to the curriculum although where required appropriate adaptations are made to suit the needs of individual pupils. The Inclusion Leader will be able to tell you about specific adaptations tailored for your child for Example:

  • Differentiated resources
  • Use of ICT/technology
  • Use of extra adult support
  • Risk assessments
  • Adaptations to classroom environments

How do the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with SEN?

  • Pupil tracking system
  • Teacher assessment
  • Formal assessment
  • Lesson observations
  • Regular monitoring and evaluation by the Inclusion Leader and other senior leaders
  • Comparison with local and national data on pupils with SEN
  • Parent meetings
  • Pupil review meetings
  • Pupil voice

What is the training school staff receive in relation to pupils with special educational needs?

All teaching staff hold qualified teachers status and have regular, on-going continuing professional development which includes training in areas related to special educational needs.


  • Epi pen training
  • Autism training
  • Phonics
  • First class number training
  • First Aid training
  • Safeguarding Training/Leaders Safeguarding training
  • Down Syndrome Training
  • Precision Teaching Training
  • Liaising closely with previous schools or teachers.
  • Liaising closely with our feeder secondary schools – extra transition days
  • Additional visits/opportunities to meet and become familiar with staff and the school environment.

What support is there for me as a parent of a child with SEND?

  • The SEN Parent Partnership service exists to provide advice and information to parent s and pupils in Birmingham. Their website address is:
  • There are many organisations parent’s can access including people such as health visitors.

What other activities are available for pupils with SEN in addition to the curriculum?

At Maryvale we make every reasonable adjustment to ensure that all our pupils with SEN and disabilities have access to extracurricular activities.

How will my child be supported when they are leaving this school or moving to a new class?

As a school we support the transition of pupils with SEN by planning and preparing for the transition between the different phases of education. Some of the ways in which we do this are:

How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authority’s local offer?

Birmingham Local Authority’s Local offer sets out the support they expect to be available for local children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities.

The website address is: